MmRemote Forum

Help and discussion about the MediaMonkey Remote

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-13 22:31:19

P-Bird

Ratings saved on phone, but not in MediaMonkey 2nd

Hi,

I just read some older threads and could actually also fix my problem for some songs.. then I lost again the ability to:

Rate the song on the phone (kind of working) and thereby rate it on the pc (more important). it worked for ages and suddenly stopped working properly after a huge remote server update (1 year old version to 2.4b).

By installing one or the other older remote server version, I could fix this issue for a couple of songs, but after restarting either MM or doing something else?! it stopped working again.

Current MM version: 4.1.5.1719
Current Remote server version: 2.4b

I urgently need help.. need to rate and sort my list for an upcoming party ;-)

Thank you so much!

Best, Alex

Last edited by P-Bird (2015-02-14 06:15:18)

#2 2015-02-14 07:53:29

Erlend
Administrator

Re: Ratings saved on phone, but not in MediaMonkey 2nd

Hi there!

If I understand you correctly, the problem is that when you rate tracks on the phone, the rating is not changed on the PC. Is that right?

If so, I'll need your server log (please attempt to rate some tracks before extracting it): http://www.mmremote.net/FAQ/Single/?entry=findlog

I'm not sure we'll be able to resolve this issue that quickly, so you may want to use MediaMonkey itself to prepare for your party. :-)

#3 2015-02-14 07:54:40

Erlend
Administrator

Oh, and by the way, which version is your app?

#4 2015-03-01 08:12:43

P-Bird

Hi again and sorry for the late reply (have been on holiday smile,

I completely re-set up my system during the last weeks. Thus, everything is up to date! Interestingly the rates sometimes get transferred nicely and then it suddenly stops. However, my

App version: v2.4c
Server version: 2.4b

as I don't find the option to upload something with this post, I'll mail you the log and relate it to this topic. I hope you see timestamps:

This morning the rating for about 50 songs worked quite nicely: 8:30 am-8:50 am. Then I created a new playlist (files located on same harddrive, similar folders) and tried the rating again, didn't work. Thus, I tried to rate a couple of songs (8:50am - end of log): didn't work, meaning the rating was made in the app, but not transferred to mediamonkey.

Interestingly all the other remote functions work, meaning, I didn't loose the connection with the remote server.

Hope you can help me. First I thought it's system specific, but as I said, everything is completely reinstalled:

MediaMonkey (4.1.5.1719) and Apps (see above).

Thanks a lot!!! There are just a few apps and programs I worship on a daily basis.. your remote is indeed one of them. Thanks so much!

Best wishes,
Alex

P.S.: why did you change the rating surface from the old graphical (press stars - press star) to the new (press three dots - press rate - scroll down - rate)? :-)

#5 2015-03-01 08:19:13

Erlend
Administrator

Thanks!

I got your email, and will look at it asap.

As for the rating, the way you describe is primarily for rating in the Now Playing list and in the Library. On the main screen, you can rate by sliding your finger along the stars at the bottom of the album art.

#6 2015-03-01 08:25:25

P-Bird

By the way, I think it is related to an error I sometimes get when I want to push a song from the current playlist to a saved playlist:

Image of Error

Restarting App, MediaMonkey, or Server (order independent) does not help.

Restarting System occasionally does!

Cheers,
Alex

#7 2015-03-01 11:26:04

Erlend
Administrator

Thanks, I found the bug! Can I write you up as a beta tester for the coming update, to verify that I have indeed fixed it?

#8 2015-03-01 21:33:24

P-Bird

Definitely.
Contact me either here or by Email. Thanks for helping out (I am just wondering, that I am the only one having this problem? Probably nobody takes the effort to rate his music..).

Btw., could you make rating more comfortable again? I mean, like in the current version it is also totally fine, but the old graphical way was way more convenient :-P

Just drop me a line, as soon as you need my help as a beta tester!

Best wishes,
Alex

#9 2015-03-05 15:43:21

scubanarc

P-Bird wrote:

(I am just wondering, that I am the only one having this problem? Probably nobody takes the effort to rate his music..).

I use the rating system a lot and it works perfectly for me. When I update a rating in app I see it update in MM within a couple of seconds.

P-Bird wrote:

Btw., could you make rating more comfortable again? I mean, like in the current version it is also totally fine, but the old graphical way was way more convenient :-P

You know you can "slide to star", right? All the way left is ? and all the way right is 5.

#10 2015-03-06 15:41:05

P-Bird

scubanarc wrote:
P-Bird wrote:

You know you can "slide to star", right? All the way left is ? and all the way right is 5.

=> WOW <=.. thanks man!

I tried to play around with the stars, but more like pressing them. Sliding works perfectly fine for me as well! Thanks for the hint. Just leaves the general rating problem.. hehe

#11 2015-03-06 18:59:32

Erlend
Administrator

I added the ability to rate by simply clicking the stars too, but it's a little difficult to be precise, so I still like the sliding best. I'll see what can be done about ratings from Now Playing/Library, but there's some other stuff that's more critical first.

EDIT: Also, really nice to see that "my community" now is so large that people are actually helping each other! big_smile

#12 2015-09-05 09:30:02

P-Bird

Hi - again - I didn't use the rating function for a long time now. Now I wanted to rate some new music and it totally doesn't work at all anymore. Just referring to the bugfix.

Does nobody else have this problem? Short version:

rating on the phone does not get transferred to the computer / saved in the file. Every other remote command works.

I did a "clean install" of the newest media monkey version:

Media Monkey: 4.1.8.1751
Remote Server: 2.6
App Version: v2.6

I found one issue which could be responsible for the problem:

App: Server/Server Settings/ I have just 8/11 permissions!
Show permissions: "You DO NOT have these permissions: - Full computer menu permissions, - Modify library (not yet implemented), -Set sleep timer"

Modify library => how can set this permission up?

HEEEEEELP smile This bug makes me so sad as everything else works so smooth!!

Cheers, Alex

#13 2015-09-07 08:45:48

Erlend
Administrator

Hi there!

That's a very strange issue. First of all, the "Modify library" permission is for the coming ability to edit tags/filenames and so on. The rating is a separate permission ("Can change ratings on tracks"). So please make sure you have that permission, and it should work.

If it doesn't, please send me your server log. But before you send it, try to rate some tracks from the remote, so that the error messages are logged. http://www.mmremote.net/FAQ/Single/?entry=findlog

#14 2015-09-07 19:28:56

P-Bird

Hi,

I sent you the log file by email. Here a screenshot of the error for everybody who is interested:

LogError bbcode test

I also installed the new Server Version to my new Notebook and I also tried another Smartphone - didn't work either. Thus: either a real bug within your software or port/router issue? But somehow I also don't believe this as once in a while a rating (1 out of 100 after five reboots) works.

Strangestrange..

Thanks a lot!
Alex

#15 2015-09-07 19:30:18

P-Bird

.. or some issue with the MediaMonkey database? How can I get into this? I tried several "clean installs" - all didn't work. "Failed to locate song for rating".. but how can MediaMonkey then play it??

#16 2015-09-08 05:43:41

P-Bird

Okay, here comes the probable solution (at least it works for the moment):

Apparently MediaMonkey did NOT scan my music library after installation. Neither on my notebook, nor my desktop PC.

Thus, as the files could not be located for rating, it got pretty simple:

>> File >> Add/Rescan Tracks to Library > select folders, I further activated the file observation and the re-check upon restart.

To my understanding, MediaMonkey only then remembers the location of the file, as files were eventually added to the library. Rating works perfectly fine, also after rebooting the computer.

BUT there is one major question persisting:

WHY does this problem not address anybody else? I mean, I never forbid MediaMonkey to complete a full library scan subsequent to reinstall.

However, if you don't hear from me anymore, that was it! :-) Great App!

Cheers, Alex

#17 2015-09-08 07:05:57

Erlend
Administrator

Nice detective work! That sounds about right; the server was unable to find the song you were trying to rate, probably because of something weird in the MediaMonkey database. A full library rescan usually fixes any weirdness, so if anybody else experience anything like this, that might be it.

Board footer