Help and discussion about the MediaMonkey Remote

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-26 13:40:34

Remarks to the new version 1.6.370a

It tested the new version. Here my remarks
First of all - all works.

Correction:
I found a bug - it should be a new bug.
If I select all in a Playlist an click "Play selected now" the play list is filled in an incorrect order.
It is not the order in the playlist but the order of the Tracknumbers (Song# of the CD)
Did you take the wrong sorting field ?

1. Player-Control buttons:
Good, larger and clear design

2. Stars rating:
Better than the slider but not optimal.
The arrangemet of the stars in a cirle is not easy to recognize. Stars in a line I would like more.
But more important is the arrangemet of the different star-groups
I would prefer a clear table structure.

0.5 | 1
1.5 | 2
2.5 | 3
3.5 | 4
4.5 | 5

3. I liked the old simple 3 Button titlebar:

Ok, the Action bar is the modern style of Android.......... :-)
It is one click more to the "now playing" now. I would like a direkt button to it.
Direct click to the Library is not so important.

4. The Playingposition seekbar
It is better it cuts not the half text as before one the Note.
Unfortunately I have problems with my SwipePad - Backgroud App now which
gives the bottom edge or corner of every screen a special function (Start apps etc.)
I integrated the volume control to move the slider from the edge.

5. The Player is the "Main-Screen" now
good.

Additional ideas.

1. Integrate the stars ratings in the current playlist (Long click menu)
If I hear a song on the sofa and the song finishes I cannot give it stars because MM plays the next song.
I must go back and play the song again (for a short time).
If I could go to the playlist and can give here the previous song (or any other) stars the problem would be solved.
(Or in the playcontrol a button: Give stars for the previous heared song.)

Bye
Andreas

#2 2013-04-26 14:10:49

Erlend
Administrator

Re: Remarks to the new version 1.6.370a

Thank you, that's a lot of good feedback!

0) I'll check my sorting field asap.
1) Good!
2) I think you're right about that. I'll try some additional layouts for the rating screen.
3) Agreed, it's modern, but the "one-click" behaviour of the action bar is not optimal for quick browsing. Therefore, I added a "drag-click" feature for the action bar. If you press down without letting go, and then move your finger downwards, you can "drag" your way to the playlist. It's not the same direct click as before, but it's still a "one click". Try it out and let me know what you think!
4) First part: Good! Second part: I'm not completely clear on what you mean here -- did you resolve it?
5) Good!

A1) Agreed, that's a good idea.

I'll probably launch a bug fix in a couple of days (I expect more bugs to pop up when people start using the new version), and I'll try to fix your 0), 2) and A1) for this. Let me hear your thoughts on 3) too!

#3 2013-04-26 15:16:59

I like your app and use it often therefore I give feedback gladly.

2) With 2 colums it would be easier to access the full stars (right column)
for poeple who dont need half start (e.g. me and some other I think).
A song is form me
very good
good
ok
and the other I will delete.

3) Is new for me but it a works good. I think its ok!

4) Its not really a problem of your app. Maybe it was not a good idear to give a hint on it.

I use the very usefull app SwipePad. It reserves the bottom of the screen (in every App some pixels).
If I swipe my finger from the bottom (outside the screen) in the screen it starts an Activity.
On this Activity I have integrated links to other apps. So I can start an app without closing the current app.
(Hear music and watch the weather for tomorrow without the need to access the home-screen)
But your seekbar uses nearly the same area.
In the previous version I had not the problem because the text and not the seekbar was at the bottom of the screen.

But its ok now-I will reconfigure SwipePad to the corner of the screen.

Besides the additional distance of the volume slider you integrated is good.

The buy bonus features works now, too. I the previous version I tried it but got not success.
Maybe you will earn more money now ;-)

#4 2013-04-26 16:36:38

Erlend
Administrator

2) I agree on the rating. The only problem is that a two column layout will be too tall for small screens, which is why I have chosen the current design. I will, however, try to figure out something better.

3) Good. If enough people complain here, I may have to add some kind of tab system again, but I hope everybody will figure out the drag-feature instead.

4) Okay, good.

5) What additional distance do you mean? Anything I need to fix?

6) Yeah, I've finally managed to fix the Google Play issue. Money was never the motivation behind this (luckily, or else I'd be out of business a long time ago!), but it would be nice to be able to cover the expenses I have on the project. Hope you're right. wink

#5 2013-04-26 19:39:45

2)

I understand that its to small for some phones. You should not decrease the button size to avoid this problem.
I read last week a paper about sofware-egonomie because I must redesign our program in my company
and found the rule that a person can recognize no more than 5-6 similar elements with one view. For more element he must count it. So 11 element are to much for the user.
The solution is group the elements. In your case one can give the full-stars an other color than the half-stars.
So that on the first view you recognize only the pattern of the five for example yellow stars.
Than in the second view you see the half stars between it.

0.5 white

yellow

<-

1.5 white
2.0 yellow

<-
a.s.o.

But one must see it if if works.

5) The space between the 2 slider in the volume pop-up window should be larger.
Is it a little bit larger than in the pervious version ?
The distance could be larger I think.

6) I must go to work and can only on my free time develop android. :-(
You should ear money for this usefull app.

7) New/old bug?
On rotation I loss my cd-cover-picture.

#6 2013-04-26 20:22:16

Erlend
Administrator

Just launched a tiny update that'll probably go live in an hour or so. Fixed most of the issues described here.
http://www.mmremote.net/History

2) Yep, I'm experimenting.

7) But it comes back, right? It should reappear in a second or two.

#7 2013-04-27 07:32:53

Thank you for the changings.

2) I will thing over it , too

7) No it comes not back. The image and the song title, album, artist texts are invisible.
Rotate back does not help.
And (strange) if I switch to the next song its stays invisible to.
But the next switch forward show a cover and all other again.

This bug seem not very good reproducable.
Yesterday I checked it too - and it worked.
No idears what conditions produce the bug.

8) Sorting bug is not fixed:

If I select 2 songs from a manual playlist. First in the list has song#8 second has song#1.
Play selected now -> Second song gets first position - first song gets second position.

(To reproduce it you must have a list f.e. with 2 albums.
If you have only one album the # and song# sorting is the same in the normal case.)

#8 2013-04-27 10:48:07

Erlend
Administrator

Oh, sorry, I forgot to note that you need to update the server too in order to fix the sorting bug. Just download it once more (it's still the same version number) from the web page now, and it should work again.

#9 2013-04-27 12:10:48

Sever reinstalled (setup version). Windows restart.
Same problem: Exactly sorted by Tracknumber.

#10 2013-04-27 14:28:22

Erlend
Administrator

Ah, you're right. There's always a corner case. It's fixed now, and will be released as a 1.6.370C update for the server soon.

#11 2013-04-27 17:39:20

The C version solves NOT the problem. :-(
Now the first song is at the first position but the other songs seems to be in a random order.
Therefore it works only with 2 selected songs.
If found no rule for the applied sorting. (Maybe the natural records order in the DB, I dont know)

So look at your old code versions - with it all worked perfectly.
Relax for a day and fix it tomorrow....

Can I help - I am a C++ Developper.

#12 2013-04-27 18:18:29

Erlend
Administrator

You're absolutely sure you've gotten the C version? (Server => About => Version == 1.6.370C?)

Very strange. It seems to work with my playlists now (even though it did not in earlier 1.6 versions, as you said).

Could you give me a concrete example (as small as possible) of say three or four songs from different albums, their sequence in the playlist, their track#s, and the sequence they are added in?

It's not a technically difficult problem, so I don't think I need any help other than to identify exactly what's wrong. You can take a look at the sorting, though, if you'd like:
"ids" is the list of songIDs sent from your app. They are in the correct order.
"list" is a list of songs retrieved from the MM DB. It will be in a more or less random sequence (by DB IDs).
"seqDic" is a Dictionary<string, int> with mapping from songID to the index it should have in the correct sequence.
I know this is usually not the best way to do it, but because of restrictions in the MediaMonkey API, it's the most efficient way to do it here.

var seqDic = new Dictionary<string, int>();
foreach (var id in ids)
----seqDic.Add(id, seqDic.Count);

//Fetching from DB here.

//Sort in correct order!
for (var i = 0; i < list.Count; i++)
{
----var x = list[i]; //Take the current song
----var nseq = seqDic[x.ID.ToString()]; //Find out where it is supposed to be
----var t = list[nseq]; //Take the song occupying the spot
----list[i] = t; //Swap them.
----list[nseq] = x; //Swapping!
}

Oh, and relax. I usually have better variable names. tongue

I'm going to relax when I've fixed the important bugs. No worries. wink

#13 2013-04-27 19:45:57

I tested with some examples - no clear rule
but I think you code is not ok if I understand it correct.

I assume the ids are the primary keys of the songs you get from the remote
and the list are the songes inclusive primary keys from the MM-database retrieved (for the ids).
You want sort the list by the ids. Means bring the list.IDs in the order of the ids. Correct ?
But your algorithm calulates the sorting of the ids by the list.IDs.
but applies it to the list.
Your loop must go over the ids and not the list.
Excuse if im am totaly wrong.

#14 2013-04-27 19:53:35

Erlend
Administrator

I think you must've read something wrong (which isn't strange at all -- its a messy bit of code!). It is sorting by the correct ID list, here's some logging to test it:

ID sequence sent from app: ------------1564, 1573, 1574, 2274, 1887, 1891, 1892, 1895, 1830, 1824, 1835, 1436, 1441, 1444, 1868, 1875, 1740, 1743, 1745, 1748, 1753
ID sequence from DB before sorting: 1436, 1441, 1444, 1564, 1573, 1574, 1740, 1743, 1745, 1748, 1753, 1824, 1830, 1835, 1868, 1875, 1887, 1891, 1892, 1895, 2274
ID sequence from DB after sorting: ---1564, 1573, 1574, 1824, 1830, 1835, 1887, 1891, 1892, 1895, 2274, 1436, 1441, 1444, 1868, 1875, 1740, 1743, 1745, 1748, 1753

EDIT: Wait, I'm wrong too. It looks like it's not completely correct (items 3-10 seems to be mixed). And I think I know why, let me check it out.

#15 2013-04-27 20:05:06

Erlend
Administrator

Alright, I think I got it. The sorting logic was right, but the way I swapped put some of them out of order again during the swapping.

Here's an updated main executable for you, I'll wait a bit before I release it as an update, in case there's more that must be fixed.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1545094/MediaMonkey%20Remote%20Server.exe
(Put it in your installation folder, to replace the current main executable.)

#16 2013-04-27 20:37:30

It works. :-)
Its late now.
I will thing tomorrow about my inverse agorithm interpretation.

#17 2013-04-27 20:41:07

Erlend
Administrator

Great!

The final algorithm is a bit simpler; instead of swapping, I just insert them directly into an array:

var seqDic = new Dictionary<string, int>();
foreach (var id in ids)
----seqDic.Add(id, seqDic.Count);

//Get from DB!

var sorted = new SDBSongData[ids.Count];
foreach(var song in fromDB)
----sorted[seqDic[song.ID.ToString()]] = song;

#18 2013-04-27 20:55:49

pjzzz

Was great until I updated today.
No album art showing en now-playing doesn't populate.

Board footer